FAST is a Southeast Michigan based non-profit group of athletes who participate in swimming and triathlons for recreation, health, fitness, and competition. We have members with diverse abilities, experience, and motivation, ranging from recreational swimmers to veterans of Ironman distance triathlons.
FAST was formed in 1984 by a small group of swimmers at Ford Motor Co. who got together to train and compete in local Masters swim meets. Within two years, the Club expanded to include the fast growing sport of triathlon. Membership has swelled each year to its current level of about 200. FAST members can be found throughout and beyond Southeast Michigan.
Our two major focuses are broken down: September to March – swimming; April to August – triathlons. However, they overlap so much that we get members who train all year round for both swimming and/or triathlons.
FAST organizes swim practice sessions throughout the year, always well attended by expert and novice swimmers alike. FAST swimmers can frequently be found competing at local Masters swim meets as well. The club is actively involved in triathlon competition throughout the world, from sprint to Ironman distance events. In 2003, we organized a new sprint distance race in Novi, Michigan and it has been a success ever since.
We tie people together through the web, e-mails and social media. If someone wants more coaching while swimming, we put them in touch with our swimming gurus. If they want to learn how to run in a marathon, we have members who teach classes on that. If you want to talk to other experienced master swimmers or age group triathletes, we line that up too. You want it, we probably have tried it and can do it again!
Whatever your fitness goals, FAST can help you meet or exceed them. Some of the benefits of joining the club include: discounts, organized training groups, social events such as our yearly holiday party, season kick-off BBQ, and the occasional happy hour, Masters swimming relays, Saturday swim practices during the cold months, and last but not least, great friendships! See more reasons to join FAST below.
If you're interested in joining the club, but do not want to make a commitment until you learn more about what it has to offer, a perfect event for you to attend is one of our Saturday swim practices at Schoolcraft College at 7:00 am (Sept through May). After the workout most members travel to a local restaurant (Charley's at the corner of 6 mile and Haggerty) for breakfast and conversation.
Why should you join FAST?
- Largest and friendliest Triathlon Club in Michigan
- One the top clubs in Mid East Region Club Championship Race Series.
- Provides a full spectrum of training partners from those purely interested in the health and fitness aspect to the more competitive top age groupers.
- Veteran training and racing advice from club members with over 20 years of swimming and triathlon experience.
- Access to a huge library of sporting resources including bike travel cases, training DVDs and books, and CompuTrainers.
- Organized training opportunities:
- Lap Swimming: Brighton, Livonia, Milford (USMS Coached), Dearborn, Oakland U, Saline, Down River, Novi (see specific times and locations)
- Triathlon bricks (bike then run) - Tuesdays at Newburgh Point, Thursdays and Saturdays at Island Lake State Park (swim then bike or run)
- Runs in Dearborn area Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays
- Weekly summer track workouts in Royal Oak
- Group open water swims and rides at Island Lake State Park
- Team competition for triathlons in the Mideast region
- Relay opportunities in Triathlons and swim meets
- Best value for money sporting club you will find
- Camaraderie and a whole lot of fun
- Free triathlon training and racing clinics (Join us - these clinics would cost more than the membership!)
- Discounts at many local shops: Running Fit, Two Wheel Tango and more
- Group discounts (i.e.. CompuTrainer, Road ID, Metropark passes, etc.)
- Discount tickets that bring money to the club: Cedar Point, Auto Show, King’s Island, Golf books
- Club merchandise for sale: bike/tri outfits (orders taken as demand identified)
- Team social parties: Holiday Party, pre-triathlon season BBQ kickoff
- Ride or room sharing opportunities for races to save that cash for that new high tech swim suit or new bike
- Knowledge that our local triathlon raises money for a local charity