March Message from the President
Last Updated on Thursday, 26 April 2012 13:03
Hello FAST Members,
Winter is almost over (wait, did winter ever start???), and there are quite a few events coming up for the rest of March! Here is a quick run-down of all the great things headed your way this month:
Saturday, March 17 9am: Last chance to try on technical gear fit kit at Charley's
Sunday, March 18 12pm: Running Fit Triathlon Expo
FAST will have a booth at this event - Come meet your fellow FASTers!
Running Fit - Ann Arbor West
5700 Jackson Rd
Ann Arbor, Mi 48103
Sunday, March 18 4pm: Start & Turn Swim Clinic - Farmington Y
This will be the final clinic before the State Swim Meet! Cost: $5 donation for the Y's Strong Kids campaign. Please pay JD or Noah on deck. If you are not a member of the Y, you will also need to sign a release form at the front desk.
Monday, March 19th State Meet Online Registration Deadline
Register online now at https://www.clubassistant.com/club/meet_information.cfm?c=993&smid=3751
Tuesday, March 20 6:30pm: Triathlon Basics class at REI Northville
Take on a Tri in 2012! This free triathlon clinic will provide you with the tools, tips, and a training plan to complete a sprint triathlon (.5 mile swim, 12 mile bike, 3 mile run) this summer. FAST will show you how triathlon training can fit into your schedule. The clinic is led by experienced triathletes and members of Ford Athletic Swim and Triathlon, a 28-year-old club based in SE Michigan. This triathlon clinic is geared towards begineers and those with some triathlon experience. FREE, but please register in advance!
Friday, March 23: FAST technical gear ordering deadline
Friday, March 23 - Sunday, March 25: Michigan Masters State Swim Meet
Saturday, March 31 10am: Fraser Bicycle "Give Us a Tri" event and 10K time trial
These events, as well as our weekly workouts, are up on the calendar on the FAST website, where you can find additional details about each one. As further proof that winter is almost over, last Saturday Schoolcraft swim is April 21st, then it's on to Trout Lake.
Good luck to all of our members competing in the Milford and State meets!
2012 Membership Registration Now Open
The 2012 FAST Membership Registration is now OPEN on active.com. Please use the link provided for quick access to our sign-in page. http://www.active.com/event_detail.cfm?event_id=2002641
Also, you will notice a change in our registration fees for the upcoming year. At this year’s annual meeting the majority of the club voted to raise the memberships dues for 2012 to $30 for a single membership and $50 for a family membership. However, we don’t want to discourage past members from signing up for the new year so we have added another membership category that is based on volunteering at major FAST events throughout the year. The volunteer membership allows you to pay the same membership fee as the past year, $20 for a single membership and $35 for a family membership. If you decide to sign up for the volunteer membership you will need to select a volunteer category during your registration. Also, if you sign up as a volunteer family member, both adults must individually volunteer to receive the volunteer membership. If you have any additional questions about the 2012 membership please feel free to contact me at email@example.com. Thank you and we are looking forward to another great year at FAST!!!
2012 FAST Secretary
Jon Logan vs Leukemia
Last Updated on Wednesday, 25 January 2012 17:18
Big day for Jon :
-Anti rejection / immunosuppressant medication is being reduced.
-No more IVs at least for the next 10 days. Docs are trialing if magnesium levels can be maintained by oral meds only. [Home Infusion has already picked up the pump and pole….see ya].
One week after it is determined that oral medications are suitable, the trifusion catheter will be removed from his chest.
-Jon can start driving; although he can’t go anywhere just yet but to the hospital for his follow up appts
-Jon’s hair is growing back. He’s working on his first mustache/goatee.
He’s had severe heartburn that is being managed with two medications. This too should subside as he is weaned from the anti rejection med. Since the heartburn has become manageable, he has become more active walking daily on the treadmill.
Jon is 65 days post transplant. His next biopsy will be 100 days (Feb29).
Late in August, former officer and multi-time Ironman Jon Logan was diagnosed with Acute Myelogenous Leukemia. In an effort to support the Logan's efforts to find a matching bone marrow donor, they are doing a fundraiser online, with a bone marrow drive (details coming soon). FAST will be matching the first $500.00 donated by FAST member, so please give if you can and help those fighting cancer.
Information can be found here: www.bethematchfoundation.org/goto/JonLogan
FAST 2011 Member Meeting
Hello FAST Members,
*** Please send nominations for Member of the Year, Male and Female Swimmer of the Yesar, and Male and Femail Triathletes of the year to me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Here are the highlights from the FAST membership meeting. Please feel free to email me if you have any questions about the dues increase for non-Volunteer Members and the Member vs. Volunteer Member rates/qualifications. I will post all responses to the FAST Yahoo and Facebook sites.
1) Welcome and Sign-in, Cheryl Machovec Dehn
2) 2012 Dues Proposal 2 passed., Cheryl Machovec Dehn
- Proposal 2: Incentive for Increased involvement of club members. Honor System
- Single Volunteer = $20, Family Volunteer = $35
- NO dues increase for those who commit to volunteering for a major club function. (ILON Tri, Super Swim Meet, other TBD, and/or who lead a reoccurring workout or activity open to all club members. )
- At least 2 Family members must meet commitment to qualify for Family Volunteer status. Or,
- Single $30, Family = $50
- No commitment to volunteer at a major club function or to be a workout leader.
- Proposal would allow a member signing up to pick which category of membership they would sign up for. The Volunteer members would be contacted to help with Club Activities. Special recognition would be given to Volunteers at different points throughout the year.
- May not be able to fund additional coaching, but should increase participation and number of events for members to participate in.
- Proposal modified to include tracking of volunteers for 2012. Jaret Johnson will track volunteer status to see if people followed through on their commitment to the club.
3) 2012 Budget. Ken Gutowski, Treasurer
- Review, modify, and approve 2012 operating budget.
4) 2012 Elections, JD Birmelin, VP of Swimming
- There was 1 nomination for each officer position except VP of Marketing.
- All nominations were accepted. And all positions filled by acclamation.
- Katy Michalski agreed to return as VP of Marketing after the meeting and has filled that position via Presidential appointment. Your 2012 FAST Officers are:
- Katy Stark, President
- Jenny Birmelin, VP of Swimming
- Jaret Johnson, VP of Triathlon
- Carol Feldmann, VP of Cycling
- Katy Michaski, VP of Marketing
- Ken Gutowski, Treasurer
- Crista Kunkel, Secretary
- Lana Krolikowski, Webmaster
- Karen Rosinski, Librarian
- Cheryl Dehn, Newsletter
5) 2012 Club Party.
- Please email Cheryl (email@example.com) if you would like to help plan or volunteer the night of the club party.
- Tentative Date: Saturday, January 21st.
- Need planners, donations for door prizes, volunteers for day of.
- Look for invitation in your email later this week!
6) 2012 Super Swim Meet, 2/5/12, JD Birmelin, VP of SwimmingEmail firstname.lastname@example.org to volunteer
2012 Annual Member Meeting - December 3rd, 9am, Schoolcraft College
Last Updated on Wednesday, 30 November 2011 13:33
The Annual Membership/Elections meeting is coming up FAST. There are lots of important items on the agenda and I hope that many of you can attend.
The meeting will be held after Saturday swim practice on December 3rd at Room 100 of the PE Building at Schoolcraft College . There will be a raffle at the end of the meeting for 2 - $50 gift cards. All 2011 club members in attendance are eligible to enter the raffle. Must be present to attend.
Available for pick-up:
- 2011 Red FAST T-shirts (if you haven't already got yours),
- 2012 Entertainment books ($25).
Collecting: Donations for the Urban Swim Initiative (See below for details.)
- 2012 Dues.
- We have a proposal to raise the dues for each single membership and family membership by $10 and $20 respectively. This dues increase would cover additional programming and club items for club members. (Example: T-shirts, hat, or water bottle type items, clinics (swim or tri), post brick picnics, fall club activity).
- After benchmarking other clubs in the area, we have found FAST's dues are substantially cheaper and we try to provide more value to our members.
- Please attend the meeting to offer your input on the dues increase and how you would like to see the club spend its (your) money.
- 2012 Budget.
- Review, modify, and approve 2012 operating budget.
- President _________ (open)
- VP Swimming, JD Birmelin, incumbent.
- VP Tri. ___________ (open)
- VP Cycling, Carol Feldmann, incumbent
- VP Marketing, ______ (open)
- Treasurer, Ken Gutowski, incumbent.
- Secretary, Crista Kunkel, incumbent.
- Webmaster, Lana Krolikowski, incumbent.
- Librarian, Karen Rosinski, incumbent.
- Newsletter, ________ (open)
We are accepting nominations for ALL positions. If you are interesting in more information on any of the positions please email me or a current officer for more information.
2012 Club Party.
- Please email Cheryl (email@example.com) and Melissa Kelber (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you would like to help organize the club party
- Tentative Date: Saturday, January 24th.
- Need planners, donations for door prizes, volunteers for day of
- Schoolcraft Swims in December: December 3 and December 10 (holiday relays)
- Schoolcraft Swimming resumes in 2012 on Saturday, January 14
- Annual Fun New Years Day Swim (8 am at Livonia Y), 112 x 50s on various intervals to ring in 2012.
Urban Swim Initiative – Still taking Donations…Please bring to the FAST Membership Meeting
Thank you! Jenny Birmelin
- Thank you FAST members & friends for the donations to date for the Detroit Urban Swim Initiative (USI). So far, we have collected 105 caps, 33 swimsuits, 69 pairs of goggles, 7 kick boards, 4 pairs of flip flops, 7 pull buoys, 5 water noodles, 11 swim bags, 6 towels, 5 pairs of fins, plus diver towels, paddles, and beach balls.
- Please consider sponsoring a swimmer and giving the gift of swim lessons for $65. Contact Nikole Saffle at the Boll Family YMCA (313) 309-9622.
- JD is still collecting donations of swim items. They are especially in need of swim suits for girls/boys.